Saturday 20 June 2009

Adios Carlito

So Carlito is off, and the suits are quick to launch a statement saying they did everything they can to keep him. I doubt that really. But I am not that concerned.

This was no real surprise, even from the outset, with the bizarre structure of the 2 year loan deal. Why if we were 100% convinced in his ability not buy him from the start, and why then buy Berbatov?

The way I see it, we were never really that keen on a player that offered at best a substitute's impact role. Rooney has all Tevez' qualities and much more.

So all in all, I can't say I am too sad he is off. Grateful for him making an impact over the last few years and helping us win silverware. I did enjoy watching him, but I could clearly see his limitations, speed being the most glaring.

Ronaldo wanted to go, and Tevez wasn't good enough. None of which come as a real surprise.

So having known for a while now that those departures were likely, its all about what has been done in the background to strengthen the squad.

I believe United have been working on a number of key signings which if they happen, will make us a more powerful attacking threat. The way we spend the windfalls from both the Ronaldo sale and not buying Tevez will ultimately dictate whether these departures will hurt us or not.

In my mind, I somehow doubt they will, and I support the club in letting both these players leave.

-----------

Club statement on Tevez

Following contact received from Carlos Tevez’s advisors last night, in advance of the deadline the Club set for concluding negotiations, Manchester United announces that Carlos will not be signing a new contract with the Club.

The Club agreed to pay the option price of £25.5m and offered Carlos a five-year contract which would have made him one of its highest paid players.

Disappointingly however, his advisors informed the Club that, despite the success he has enjoyed during one of the Club’s most successful periods, he does not wish to continue playing for Manchester United.

The Club would like to thank Carlos for his services over the last two seasons and wishes him good luck for the future.