Wednesday 20 May 2009

United 2-1 Barca in 1991


Mike Phelan remembers 1991 UEFA Cup Final:

"Barcelona were the favourites that night and quite rightly. Michael Laudrup was one of Barca's big stars of the time. They were talking him up and he was their big match winner. I was given the job of marking him. I just didn't want to let anyone down and thankfully I was happy with my performance. But the game went so quickly I can hardly remember it. My biggest memory was the drugs test afterwards. I was chosen to give a sjavascript:void(0)ample for testing but I was so dehydrated I couldn't do it. I was sat in this little side room on my own and I could hear the lads celebrating. I just wanted to be with them. I was sat drinking a pint of beer with the showers on full in a bid to get me to go to the toilet! Eventually the manager got so fed up waiting and irate he ordered the team bus to go back to the hotel. I was left at the stadium with all the lights going out before I eventually managed to give a sample and I could get to the hotel to enjoy the night."

Extract from "If the Reds Should Play... in Rome or Mandalay."